Family Law Attorneys

We represent clients with family law and divorce related legal problems throughout Boston metrowest in Middlesex and Norfolk Counties including Needham, Newton, Wellesley, and Weston.

17989-signing document (1)

Massachusetts law about modifications of family law judgments and orders

In Massachusetts, if your circumstances have changed, you have a right to go back to court and ask for a modification of your divorce, support, or custody agreement.

If you are divorced, a divorce agreement modification can address changes to child support, alimony, and custody arrangements. Either party can request a modification to reduce or increase support payments or to change parenting plan specifications.

The status of your case, as well as the type of change requested, will determine how you facilitate modifications. One method is through a Complaint for Modification. Once completed, this form should be filed in the county where the judgment was issued.

Another way to make a change in some cases is to file a motion. For example, a Motion for Reconsideration requests a family court judge to review his or her previously issued decision in order to make a change in light of newly discovered evidence, an issue of fraud, or a mistake of law. A Motion to Set Aside can be used to request a judge to vacate an existing support or custody order.

Whether you’ve lost your job, retired, or have experienced other impactful life changes and need to request an increase or decrease of support payments or you wish to alter your custody arrangement, modifications can be made to your original divorce agreement.

Get Experienced Divorce Modification Lawyers on Your Side

No matter what your divorce modification request might be, it is important to seek legal advice early to learn your rights and understand your options.

If you have a modification issue, we encourage you to call our office first. We take the time to speak with you to understand your situation and discuss how we will be able to assist you.

We’re here to help you navigate the different avenues for modification of your divorce agreement and help you file the necessary paperwork to get your amendments made. For experienced guidance you can rely on, please contact our office today. We represent clients from Needham, Newton, Wellesley, Weston, and throughout Boston metrowest.

What Our Clients Have To Say...